Datagate Xero Integration Guide
Datagate Support | June 20, 2022
Looking to configure your Datagate portal with your Xero account? Read this guide for an overview of the integration including setup, customer sync, and invoice exporting.
If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact the Services Team.
Table of Contents
- Data Flow Diagram
- Getting Started
- Customer Synchronization
- Invoices Export
- Import of AR Transactions (Account Receivable Transactions)
Data Flow Diagram
Q: How do I connect to Xero?
A: To connect to Xero, you can configure the integration with your Xero account from the Integrations page (see “Getting Started” below). The connection will remain active until it is deleted.
Q: How do I disconnect from Xero?
A: To disconnect from Xero, you can delete the Xero integration from the Integrations page (see “Getting Started” below). Once you delete the Xero integration, all integration information will be removed and you will need to reconfigure the integration again to connect to Xero.
Q: When and how does data sync occur? Is it manual, automatic, on login, or in real-time? Are there any settings related to synchronizing?
A: Synchronizing customers from Xero and exporting invoices from Datagate is manual. The AR transaction sync is automatic and regularly performed while the integration is configured and the “Track External Invoices and Payments” option is enabled (see “Import of AR Transactions” below).
- To configure Datagate’s integration with Xero, head over to the Integrations page (Top Right User Dropdown>Settings>Integrations) and click “Connect“ on the Xero tile in Available Integrations.
- After you click “Connect”, Datagate will open the Xero login screen where you will need to enter the Email address and Password associated with your Xero account.
- After logging into Xero, select the Company (Tenant) on your account that will be integrated with Datagate. Only one Xero company can be integrated with Datagate.
- After choosing the Xero Company, press “Select”. Datagate will complete the configuration process and display the Xero integration tile in the list of configured integrations.
Once the Xero integration is configured, you can view and configure the integration settings on the Xero Integration Details page, which can be accessed by clicking “Details” on the Xero integration tile.
You can configure the following options:
- Track External Invoices and Payments
- Extended Export (for US Telecom Taxes)
If the “Track External Invoices and Payments“ option is enabled, Datagate will track invoices and payments for invoices that were not created in Datagate.
If the “Extended Export“ option is enabled, Datagate will display the detailed export wizard when exporting invoices to Xero. This option is mainly for Datagate Users in the United States to export telecom taxes to Xero.
If you do not want to use the Xero integration, you can disconnect from Xero by clicking the “Delete“ button on the Xero tile on the Integration settings page. Datagate asks you to confirm the deletion in the confirmation window.
After you select “Confirm”, Datagate will disconnect from the Xero account and delete all integration credentials.
You can quickly synchronize customers in Xero to Datagate. Datagate will import all Xero contacts that have the type: Customer or not Supplier.
If you want to limit contacts that will be imported into Datagate, create a Contact Group called “Datagate” in Xero and assign that to the contacts that should be synced with Datagate. If a Customer exists in Datagate and does not exist in Xero – the Customer will be deactivated in Datagate during synchronization. The Customer sync is one way and customer details need to be maintained in Xero and not updated in Datagate.
To synchronize customers with Xero, do the following:
Open the Customers page and click the Synchronize Customers button
Click the Synchronize with Xero button (appears only if a Xero integration is configured)
Confirm the synchronization in the confirmation window
After you select “Confirm”, Datagate will begin the synchronization process. The process and its results are displayed at the end.
Clicking a Customer on this list will open the Customer account. The Customer details are displayed on the “Details“ tab. For each Customer that is imported from Xero, the Xero ID is saved and displayed on the “Details” tab.
You can export Invoices (and Credit notes) from Datagate to Xero. When Invoices are finalized and sent out to Customers or marked as sent (Invoice status = Sent or Sent Manually), you can export the invoices to Xero.
To export Invoices to Xero, do the following:
Select Invoices on the “Action Invoices” tab of the Invoicing page and perform the “Export Invoice“ action.
Select “Xero Multiline” as the type of export in the “Export invoices” dialog box. If the “Extended Export“ option is disabled in Xero integration settings the export options will be displayed in the “Export invoices” dialog box. Otherwise, the Invoice export wizard will be displayed.
Export of Invoices via Dialog Box
In the dialog box, you can configure the parameters of the export.
- Type of Export: Xero Multiline
- Xero Account: For Users who want to use a single GL Code for all invoice lines – choose a single Xero Account. This will make the GL Code on all the invoice lines that one GL Code. This option means that you do not need to set up multiple GL Codes against Products or Usage Call Types, you can just set it once here when exporting.
- Override account with GL code: For Users who want to use multiple GL Codes per invoice line – use the “Override account with GL Code” checkbox. When selected, this will override the default “Xero (GL) Account” selected and use the Datagate GL Codes from the invoice lines (based on products and usage call type GL Codes in Datagate).
- Xero Payment: Optional field where you can select the Xero payment account.
- Invoice Status: The status of exported Invoices in Xero. The following statuses are available:
- Draft Status – does not create accounting GL entries to finalize/approve the invoices in Xero. Some Users like this option to review and approve invoices in Xero as an extra step with the export.
- Awaiting Payment – creates an approved invoice awaiting payment. This option does create GL Entries, so it is harder to unwind in Xero if it is wrong (an invoice would need to be “VOIDED” and recreated).
- Note: Draft Status is recommended if you are testing Invoice export since it does not create GL Entries etc.
- Mark Invoice as sent: To mark invoices as sent in Xero.
Once the export options are configured, click the “Export” button to begin the export.
Once the process is complete, the invoice(s) will be available in Xero.
Export of Invoices via Export Wizard [US Customers ONLY]
The Invoice export wizard consists of two steps:
The “Export Options” step contains the same parameters as the dialog box described above.
The “Tax Mapping“ step contains options related to exporting telecom taxes for Datagate Users based in the United States.
- Multiline Taxes: If enabled, each tax (taxes grouped by name) will be exported to Xero as a single invoice line. Otherwise, a single invoice line for all taxes will be created in Xero.
- Split Taxes by State: If enabled, taxes will be additionally grouped by the State they are related to.
Click the “Export“ button to begin the export process. The process is the same as described above for the dialog box export.
Import of AR Transactions (Account Receivable Transactions)
You can also configure the import of AR Transactions (Invoices, Payments) from Xero to Datagate. To allow the import of AR Transactions, enable the “Track External Invoices and Payments” option on the Xero integration settings page.
After the option is enabled, Datagate will import Invoices and Credit Notes created in Xero (not previously exported from Datagate) and Payments made in Xero as AR Transactions.
You can view the list of AR Transactions for the Customer on the “AR Transactions” tab of the Customer account page. All imported AR transactions will have the “External Transaction“ type.
Datagate gets information from Xero about new Invoices or Payments and creates a new AR Transaction for newly created Invoices and Payments in Xero.
Once invoices are paid, Datagate creates the AR Transaction for the payment.
Please sign in to leave a comment.